Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

5K Goals

Not many people know this, but my first 5K is coming up in less than two weeks. My first 5K, guys. My hear gets all fluttery just thinking about it. I am so stinking excited.

All of my preparation has been leading to this, and it’s crazy to think that it is so close. I just started the C25K program last week, didn’t I? Nope. It has been WEEKS and now it’s almost time to put my hard work into practice.

As I began to think about prepping for the run, I wanted to set a goal for finishing time. But I realized I didn’t even know what a realistic goal would look like for myself. So this morning I got on the treadmill and decided to see how long it would take me to complete those 3.1 miles.

5k time

A few things to mention: the above time includes a 5 minute warm-up walk. This is a treadmill. Running outside is not the same as running on a treadmill. The above time is the result of running at a mostly steady pace of 6mph. I may be good, but I know I am not yet at the point where I can maintain a steady 6mph pace outdoors.

Taking those things into consideration, my goal is to finish under or around 34:00 on the day of the run.

So now that I have a finishing time in mind, I can move forward with more preparing and planning. For my running friends, what advice do you have in preparing for a race? What things can I do in the next week and a half? What things should I do the morning of the race?

Until next time,
brighter-signature

No comments: