Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dorm Cooking Basics: The Food

Welcome to my new mini-series, Dorm Cooking Basics!

My new lifestyle began toward the end of my sophomore year of college. I have spent the last year looking for ways to make eating smart easier. It would be easy for me to make excuses during this particular season of my life. After all, most microwavable meals are NOT healthy and the chocolate chip cookies at my university’s to-go services are so. freaking. good.

But I decided not to let those excuses hold me back. I have been learning and trying new things, and this mini-series is my way of sharing what I have learned with you. Most of my readers have busy schedules like me, but they also have full-sized kitchens and many more appliances at their disposal. So take a look at my basics, create some basics of your own, and stick to them. No excuses anymore, mkay?


Today’s focus is on five basic foods I always have on hand for dorm meals. Let’s dig in!
DSCN3335
1. Multi-Grain English MuffinsThis basic is something I picked up recently. Prior to this I had been buying loaves of whole wheat bread. The downside was that I just didn’t seem to get through a loaf quick enough before it was gross. For some reason, I eat English muffins much quicker.
I use these for breakfast sandwiches (my new favorite), spread with a bit of peanut butter, or with cream cheese topped off with some sliced strawberries. So good!
DSCN3352
2. EggsGood news: you CAN make scrambled eggs in the microwave! I’ll whisk one up with a fork and microwave it in a small ceramic ramekin I picked up from Target. Then it’s a quick minute and a half in the microwave. The ramekin makes my eggs into the perfect size and shape for breakfast sandwiches. How fun is that! :)
DSCN3346
3. Greek YogurtThis has got to be one of the most versatile foods for dorm meals. I honestly go through a big tub weekly because I use Greek yogurt for just about everything. My favorites include topping it with fruit and granola, mixing in peanut butter and chocolate chips, or putting it in smoothies.
DSCN3340
4. Quick 1-Minute OatsOatmeal is another food with great potential. I could seriously eat the stuff every day, multiple times a day (and I have!). Some of the best mix-ins I have found are bananas and maple syrup, peanut butter and bananas, peanut butter and chocolate chips, and applesauce and cinnamon. Yumm!
DSCN3344
5. FruitOne of the great things about my school’s dining hall is that they allow you to take out one dessert or one fruit after each meal. You’re crazy if you don’t take advantage of that! I use all of that fresh fruit on its own as a snack or cut up for yogurt, smoothies, and cereal.

Those are just a few basics. I also have milk, cereal, and peanut butter in my room at all times. These simple things go a long way. I am so excited to be able to share some of my favorite dorm room recipes with you soon!

Question of the Day: What foods do you always have in your fridge/on the shelf?

Until next time,
brighter-signature

1 comment:

Cupcake Couture said...

This is a good idea! Wish I would have thought of this when I went in college!

When you get a chance, stop over at my blog, I'm holding a giveaway for a Naked 2 palette!
http://vscupcakecouture.blogspot.com/2013/03/giveaway-naked-2-palette.html